Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 2008 01:24:02 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Michael Christie <michael@powerzone.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Group Limits

--SLDf9lqlvOQaIe6s

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 07:32:23AM +1000, Michael Christie wrote:
> Hi there,
>=20
> I am running webmin and virtualmin  on freebsd  7.0,  I have  found when=
=20
> i add a number of domains using virtualmin and restart apachie i get the=
=20
> following error.
> =20
> [alert] (22)Invalid argument: initgroups: unable to set groups for User=
=20
> www and Group 80...    Apachie will not start..
>=20
>=20
>  it happens when the 'apache' or 'httpd' user is a member of too many
> groups. By default, Virtualmin adds the user Apache runs as to each
> domain's group, which eventually triggers this problem.

See group(5):

     In older implementations, a group cannot have more than 200 members.  =
The
     maximum line length of /etc/group is 1024 characters.  Longer lines wi=
ll
     be skipped.  This limitation disappeared in FreeBSD 3.0.

> Can any one advise me how to expand the number of groups allow on
> freebsd I think my default it is 16, I need to make it 50 to 100

The number 16 is from /usr/include/sys/syslimits.h. But my /etc/group
has 37 groups without problems.

In /usr/include/sys/_types.h and /usr/include/sys/stat.h  gid_t is
defined as __uint32_t, a 32 bits unsigned integer.

Roland
--=20

--SLDf9lqlvOQaIe6s

--SLDf9lqlvOQaIe6s--