Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 2003 13:50:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wagenheim <davidwagenheim@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Patching Openssh on 4.9 PRERELEASE

The other day I cvsup'd using the stable supfile, did
buildworld, installworld and built and installed a new
kernel.  All of that went fine and I now have a
4.9-PRERELEASE box.

Today, I went to patch OpenSSH and I did:

# cd /usr/src
# patch < /root/buffer46.patch
# cd /usr/src/secure/lib/libssh
# make clean
# make depend && make all install
# cd /usr/src/secure/usr.sbin/sshd
# make clean
# make depend && make all install
# cd /usr/src/secure/usr.bin/ssh
# make clean
# make depend && make all install

Everything went fine but when I checked the version of
the newly built sshd, it said:

sshd Version OpenSSH_3.5p1 FreeBSD-20030201

but according to the advisory, for 4.8, it should be:

OpenSSH_3.5p1 FreeBSD-20030916

(For all versions of FreeBSD mentioned in the
advisory, the version # of OpenSSH reflects 20030916,
so I assume mine should as well).

Now I know that I don't have 4.8 but rather 4.9, but
does the fact that the version number doesn't reflect
September 16 mean that there currently isn't a way to
update sshd on a 4.9 system?

If it is helpful, output from uname -a is:

FreeBSD db.mydomain.com 4.9-PRERELEASE #0: Sun Sep 14
17:38:58 EST 2003
root@db.mydomain.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC

Thanx,

David