Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 2004 03:07:51 -0700
From:      Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADSUP] naming of tty devices.

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 09:38:45AM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> Other drivers have resorted to various variations of this scheme
> (if they were copy&pasted from sio.c) or rolled their own private
> naming system.  In other words: it's a pretty mess right now.

I've noticed the third-party software modem drivers in ports have this
problem. I looked at what it would take if we were to rewrite them as
uart(4) attachments and was pleasantly surprised to find it'd eliminate
the reckless forking of sio(4).

However, eliminating the naming inconsistency here can only be a good
thing; if uart(4) can be kept in sync with these tty changes so much
the better.

Regards,
BMS