Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 96 00:54:01 EST
From:      Dan Malek <dan@westford.ccur.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        dan@westford.ccur.com
Subject:   More 2.1 installation problems

About two months ago I installed 2.1.0 Release on a new 133MHz
Pentium.  I had problems with the root file system becoming
corrupted, and blamed it on the Windows '95 partition on the
same disk.  This has since been "fixed" by patiently restoring
the files by hand.

I have now spent three days trying to install 2.1.0 on a machine
that has been running 2.0.5 very well.  Actually, the 2.0.5 machine
crashed and I lost some of the shared libraries, so I decided it
was time to update that one with 2.1.0.  What a disaster this has
been.

Shortly (less than five minutes) after booting the new installation,
I get the error:

	mode = 00640 inum = 31 fs = /
	panic ffs_alloc: dup_alloc

The subsequent reboot and fsck finds all root inodes (and directories)
of all mounted file systems hosed, creates a new lost+found and moves
everything there.

I am trying to install 2.1.0-RELEASE#0, 16 Nov. 1995.  Is this a known
problem that I just missed in the news group?

The system normally runs with an Adaptec 284x SCSI interface and a 1.0 Gbyte
SCSI-2 disk.  I have tried different disks and controllers, including IDE
disks and controller.  Same result.  Since I must have loaded the software
fifty times, I have noticed about one-half of the time the installation
fails with file system write errors (i.e. -1 returned to cpio) while
trying to uncompress and install the software.

I have tried all combinations of FDISK, PFDISK, number of partitions,
precise manual alignment of slices on cylinders, automatic configuration
options, and giving FreeBSD the entire disk.  All installations result
in the same error.

I am at wits end.  Any information will be helpful.

Thanks.

	-- Dan Malek