Date:      Sun, 28 Sep 1997 16:01:28 +0200
From:      Jeremy Lea <reg@shale.csir.co.za>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Round and round (was: DNS vs. GUI? (was: Microsoft brainrot...))

On Sun, Sep 28, 1997 at 12:28:59AM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> So I guess it really comes down to in the end is this: What do we have
> the will to do and what practical (e.g. existing or truly
> implementable) technologies can we use to do it with?  Answer those
> two questions and you'll accomplish far more than a simple re-hash of
> the whole GUI-for-UNIX debate which we've had at least 50 times in
> these FreeBSD mailing lists. ;-)

Having been mostly lurking on these lists for a while now, it would seem to
me that we need some sort of frequently raised issues (FRI) document. There
are a number of topics that seem to have a life of their own, and a number
of things which people keep raising (especially Terry ;). Although it would
have to be a minimum of work... This posting of yours would be a really good
start for a "GUI vs Command line" topic. "NT vs Unix", "FreeBSD vs Linux",
"FS layering" and "perl/TCL" are others. We could list all of the peoples
views, based on a cut and paste from e-mail into an HTML page (or even
Docboook, but that might be a bit more work). Then we put a introduction on
the top.

These debates always seem to "end" with someone saying "You're all missing
the point... the real issue is..." so we put a nice summary of what people
consider the real issues at the bottom, along with a "What can I do?"
section, much like your posting.

Then when someone comes with a FRI, you point them at the web page and then
let them submit their comments... or if they've now changed their minds,
diffs against their last comments.

Just an idea... in theory it would save a lot of e-mail, but then so do
FAQ's, in theory.

 -Jeremy

--
.sig.gz