Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 12:38:51 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Greg Quinlan" <greg@qmpgmc.ac.uk>
Cc:        "Geff Hanoian" <boing@boing.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Memory leaks & kernel panic/reboot & ahc reboot

> So Geff...
>
> Maybe you can educate me then....
>
> After processes have taken all available memory (malloc) down to the
> threshold...
> What type of memory would be used next?

Malloc doesn't allocate physical memory, it allocates virtual memory.
Physical memory is allocated by the VM system to back virtual memory as
required, and recycled when it's not.

Malloc activity and physical memory usage are more or less completely
unrelated; you can't draw any connections between them without a far
deeper understanding of the system.  In your case, I strongly suggest
going back to basics and avoiding jumping to conclusions.

--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org