Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 2000 22:19:12 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/18877: Also install libraries for the Wine port!

On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, Will Andrews wrote:
> Instead of using this huge patch, why not put this in wine/Makefile:
>
> SOVERSION=      1
> MAKE_ARGS+=     -E SOVERSION

I talked to the Wine folks and they told me that the different libraries
may well have different, independent version numbers in the future. (In
fact that's also the reason why they do not have single definition of
SOVERSION). For now, both approaches are equivalent, but this may change.

However, if you prefer installing the change above instead, I do not have
strong feelings either way! :-)

Gerald

PS: In the long term, someone seems to be working on making the library
configuration in Wine more portable, and I'm already in contact with him.