Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2001 11:05:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Marius <marius@mail.communityconnect.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        marius@mail.communityconnect.com
Subject:   nfs stuck in objtrm

My company has a number of FreeBSD servers, 3.5-STABLE, that run thttpd to
serve static content.  The staic content is stored on nfs mounts.  In
general our FreeBSD servers are very fast, very efficient, they are the
real workhorses of our server farm.

We have two main problems that keep re-ocurring.  One is that machines
occationaly get stuck in vmopar. (Kernel Bug 14033)  A problems which
I believe is still unresolved.

The second, more frequent annoyance is thttpd getting stuck in the
'objtrm' state while the nfs client hangs is vm_object_terminate().
Searching the archives I see this was once Kern/1159 but obviously that
was a while ago.  All my searches so far seem to indicate that is problem
should have been cleared up long ago, yet I have had to reboot 3 servers
in the last 12 hours because of it.   The only thing we can do when this
happens is ungracefully reboot the system without syncing the file
system, as a normal reboot will just hang the machine as the objtrm
process just won't die.  I wish I knew a better way or could help to
create a better resolution.

Has anyone else seen this behavior recently?

I will hopefully soon upgrade at least a test server to to the latest 4.x
stable as well as the most recent release of thttpd so I can take full
advantage of  accept filters.  Hopefully that will solve/help some of our
woes.  But I was wondering if anyone had any insite/experiece similar to
ours with objtrm.

-Marius M. Rex