Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 1999 18:35:58 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        sanpei@sanpei.org (MIHIRA Yoshiro)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: comconsole

> >> A -P option to boot is ignored.  Put the -P in /boot.config.
>
>   When I setup server box(without VGA console, 3.1-RELEASE),
> I added ``set console=comconsole'' to /boot/loader.rc.
> Also enable serial console getty in /etc/ttys
>
>   Which method is better for serial(com) console?

If you are using a serial console, it is generally best to enable it
as soon as possible.  There is a lot of stuff that happens before
loader(8) gets control.  The flow is roughly as follows:

    boot1
    btx
    boot2
    btxldr
    btx
    loader

Also, bear in mind that boot2 cannot guarantee to run loader at all:
if loader is inaccessible for some reason (eg. missing or corrupt),
an attempt will be made to boot the kernel directly.

To avoid missing potentially informative diagnostics, etc., the best
place to start the serial console is therefore in boot2, using one
of the options -D, -P, or -h, according to needs and preference.

--
Robert Nordier