Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 2003 09:03:28 -0600
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        support@solvnet.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.8 on i386

support@solvnet.net wrote:

>Hello,
>Are there issues with trying to install 4.8 on i386 machines? I've tried
>upgrading from 4.2 on ISO cd to using the FTP site directly, even tried
>a clean install from the ISO but the istall continues to fall apart while
>retrieving anything with the Xserver and the binary itself. I just, this
>AM, used the FTP direct upgrade (thinking my ISO burn was faulty),
>skipped through the Xserve stuff that failed and allegedly did a
>successful upgrade. On reboot I get:
>
>booting(kernel)...
>can't load 'kernel'
>can't load 'kernel.old'
>no bootable kernel
>ok
>
>I have a Mylex 760 raid card, is this the impediment? The 4.2 is
>successful without a hitch. I have an AMI 3.0 bios, a Super p6dgs/dbs
>motherboard. I've downloaded the ISO from different FTP sites and
>still get the same result from ISO install attempts. Any words for the
>unwise here?
>
>thanks,
>
>Dan
>
>support@solvnet.net

I won't call you unwise, but it's a loooong way from 4.2
to 4.8.  If you've still got a 4.2 world and a 4.2 kernel, I'd
try to use cvsup/makebuildworld/../../../mergemaster (etc.)
to get to 4.4, then 4.6, then 4.8 or 4.9..............

Can you explain the phrase "FTP direct upgrade" a little
more clearly?  Do you mean using /stand/sysinstall?

You may need to wait until some bigger brains see your
question....  : (

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.