Date:      Wed, 11 Mar 1998 21:16:10 -0500
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
Cc:        Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>, dev@wopr.inetu.net (Dev), isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Runaway web server.

"Jeffrey J. Mountin" wrote in message ID
<3.0.3.32.19980311190315.00752e34@156.46.92.70>:
> In either case there was nothing suspicious/malicious in the logs around the
> time of the runaways, but someone did try to exploit a bug of 1.2.4 (or earli
> er?) with an invalid URL that was _really_ long, which didn't work. :)

Since Apache doesn't log until completion (either through erroring out
or the URL being delivered) its possible its an exploitable bug.

> At least this was only one child process on 2 different occasions, but consid
> ering how far both FBSD and Apache have come, it bothers me somewhat and now
> someone else has a more serious problem.

It would be really helpful if ppl experiencing this ran apache with debugging
symbols compiled in and gdb attached to the runaway process and traced it to
see what it was doing. We can speculate until we're blue in the face, but
thats all it is...

We use FreeBSD where I work too, and in a fairly heavily hit area (our POP
servers see 100 pop sessions a second, probably gone up since that figure was
calculated a few months ago). To date I haven't seen a runaway process on
our servers.

Gary