Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 1997 19:48:56 +0400 (MSD)
From:      "Mikhail A. Sokolov" <mishania@demos.su>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org, ache@nagual.ru (Andrey A. Chernov)
Subject:   FreeBSD vs other platforms?

Hi,

My question is awfully simple and complicated also:

I wonder if anyone in this world collected/tryed to collect statistics on
the world usage of various platforms in networking applications, like,
providing internet services (www/ftp/dns/dhcp/<insert here>)? Without any
doubt I'd mention, that we're willing to consider *BSD (open, net, free, BSD/OS)
to be one united field of calculations.

Seems like I have to explain the situation:  as it always happening in pretty
huge ISP on the market, we have two 'technological' platforms, Suns and *BSD.
And as it's always happening, there's confrontation starting between those
admins of above mentioned platforms, say, for funding, after several years of
successful work on both types of servers/OS's (we're 8 years on the market of
Russian ISP already).

We are interested to gather (start ourselves)  analysis on the topic of
_comparison_ (er, how is it spelled? ;-))  on frequency of the usage of
different OS's/platforms on highly loaded servers, like innd/nntp, httpd,
ftpd, named and other data terminals, like shell access machines...

Thanks,

-mishania