Date:      Thu, 27 Dec 2001 19:53:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what a can of worms! (Gnome flames)

Hey, I once tried to do a pure
  make kde2
from the ports and it took more than a day on a 300 Mhz.  Granted it
was a 56k modem, but at least 80% of the time was in the compile.  I
gave up and used the CD's.

When you look at the gnome philosophy, which is having a bazillion
g-apps written by everyone and their cousin all interlocking in even
more bizarre ways (relative to the more central kde, which is baroque
enough) -- well hats off to all of you doing the compiles.

Perhaps the team should consider a gports of gdeps or something to
keep track of it all.

(FLAME ON) the biggest linux-ism (I'd say GNU-ism, but I'm not sure
GNU would have done it this way) I encounter in day to day life is the
lack of rhyme or reason to the packages, which is why you need a
redhat or a suse to sort through them.

-r