Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 2004 07:59:31 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        toxa <postfix@sendmail.ru>
Subject:   Re: acpi S4 resume partition

--M38YqGLZlgb6RLPS

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 03:02:27PM +1030, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> In theory your BIOS could support S4BIOS which means it does most of the
> work, but I don't think anyone has ever had that work either.

I had this working on a Dell Inspiron 4150, but it turned out to be much
slower than just rebooting the thing (about 60 seconds for reading/writing =
it
all to disk vs about 30 seconds for booting). I needed to get a Dell utility
from the website (S2D.EXE iirc) and create a suspend to disk partition *as
the first partition on the disk*.

And of course, resuming within X was not really supported because some thin=
gs
like the display failed to properly reinitialize, just like with S3.

In the end I decided to dedicate the space to something else. It wasn't wor=
th
it IMHO. An OS-based S4 might turn out to be much more useful.

--Stijn

--=20
"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure."

--M38YqGLZlgb6RLPS

--M38YqGLZlgb6RLPS--