Date:      Thu, 3 Jan 2002 01:40:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Marc Silver <marcs@draenor.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/31265: crontab(1) doesn't decribe format of allow and deny files.

The following reply was made to PR docs/31265; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Silver <marcs@draenor.org>
To: "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 09:34:44 +0000

 Hi there,

 On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 03:17:27PM -0800, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
 > I find the newest file under /usr/src/usr.sbin/cron to be
 > /usr/src/usr.sbin/cron/crontab/crontab.c dated Jun 15  2001; size 13933;
 > md5 3d7a88f82812c75c7a1ab0d3d806dc86

 My MD5 for that file is 3d7a88f82812c75c7a1ab0d3d806dc86, which matches
 yours...

 > My /usr/bin/crontab is size 24872, but I'm not sure if that SHOULD
 > match yours.

 My file size matches yours.  :)

 > I cvsup'd "RELENG_4/src-all" 26'dec'01 and did "make world" stuff then.

 I cvsup'd RELENG_4/src-all on 18 December 2001 and did make world then.
 I have since then cvsup'd every two-three days...

 > Running as "jojo", I get this with "jojo" at the end of "/var/cron/allow".
 >
 > $ crontab -l
 > crontab: you (jojo) are not allowed to use this program
 >
 > $ hd /var/cron/allow | tail -2
 > 00000370  20 72 6f 6f 74 2e 0a 72  6f 6f 74 0a 6a 6f 6a 6f  | root..root.jojo|
 > 00000380

 Running as "marcs", I get this with the username at the end of
 /var/cron/allow...

 pressure (1) :  crontab -l
 0       10      *       *       * ( /usr/local/www/generate.pl )
 <snip>

 pressure (2) :  hd /var/cron/allow | tail -2
 00000000  72 6f 6f 74 0a 6d 61 72  63 73 0a |root.marcs.| 0000000b

 Here I see my output is slightly different to yours, though I am not
 sure why...

 [09:20:38] ~
 pressure (3) :  cat /var/cron/allow
 root
 marcs
 [09:20:41] ~
 pressure (4) :

 Note that I dont have a newline character after the last username.

 > My /usr/src/usr.sbin/cron/crontab/crontab.1 and my 4.3R one both have
 >   3282 Dec  8  2000 /usr/src/usr.sbin/cron/crontab/crontab.1

 My file sizes/dates match yours.

 > I despise aggressiveness and usually restrain myself, but I
 > occasionally repay inferred offense with implied offense.  This time I
 > tried to merely state what I thought of your changes and not what I
 > thought of your seeming carelessness in making them.  I spent a long
 > time carefully wording my patch.  I would have reacted better to
 > criticism and suggestions for improvement than to a flat-out
 > replacement, especially when I find it to be both poorly expressed and
 > inaccurate.  Maybe this is a lesson to push one's PR on people after
 > it gets ignored.

 You were mistaken in thinking that I implied offense in the first place.
 I never said your patch was 'poorly expressed' nor 'inaccurate', though
 I see you feel the need to criticise mine and be quite harsh in your
 replies.  In fact, you show little or no 'restraint' as far as I'm
 concerned.

 I will not waste my time further with this debate.  It's obvious that
 you have resent me sending in this patch, so I will 'withdraw' my patch
 and my work on this PR can be ignored.

 > +If neither of these files exists, then depending on site-dependent
 > +configuration parameters, only the super user will be allowed to use
 > +this command, or all users will be able to use this command.
 >
 > I had left that for another PR, but that leaves one asking:  What
 > configuration parameters?

 This portion was not written by me, but was merely re-ordered...

 I wish you the best of luck in getting your patch committed and hope to
 have better dealings with you in the future.

 - Marc

 --
 I've learned that being kind is more important than being right.
         -- Andy Rooney