Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2002 14:16:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      twig les <twigles@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   semi-newbie questions-adding 2nd nic/arp message

Hey *, I've honestly done my homework on this one and
am getting behind on other things without making
progress.

I have a snort box on 4.4-stable listening on rl0
(dlink 530tx+) at home mimicking a production server
running snort in a lights-out, colo facility.  I need
to switch interfaces on Snort, so this is what I did:

ifconfig rl1 inet x.x.x.x
changed rc.conf to include: ifconfig_rl1="inet
1.1.1.1"

upon reboot (home box, not production) Snort complains
that device rl1 is not configured and dies; Snort is
right.  ifconfig -a tells me rl1 is there but without
an IP.

I know how to setup an interface using
/stand/sysinstall but that's not an option here.  Is
there a man page I missed?  Please toss me one if you
know.

The second problem seems normal: when the second
interface comes up, I get "arp: 10.x.x.x is on fxp0
but got reply from 00:02:fd:a3:d8:00 on ti0" on the
production server.  Everything is working beautifully
(so long as no one reboots) but my dmesg has about 100
of these since yesterday.  How do I get rid of them?

=====