Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 1997 22:40:43 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
To:        Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /etc/netstart bogons..

At 11:54 AM 4/24/97 -0700, Curt Sampson wrote:
>Not really, no. Setting the variable to "DEFAULT" means use the
>default value. Many of our variables are set to "NO" not to run
>the program, "DEFAULT" to use reasonable defaults, or a list of
>flags. Thus, having the variable set to "" or unset (they're the
>same thing in /bin/sh) means `run the program with no command line
>arguments.'

Exactly.  There are some things that users may wish to run without any flags.

FWIW, I go in /etc/rc.* and comment what I never want.

>We have other variables that simply turn things on or off, and
>these are set to just YES or NO as needed.

So then the default should be yes or no, but the lesser of evils.  8-)

I don't run a print daemon, so having to unset LPD="YES" annoys me, but
considering the other changes I must do... <shrug>

Another thing that is adding lines (comments are nice) are the repeated
"imported from /etc/sysconfig" entries.  How about a nice layout, as it
looks like they could be under a section, just like sysconfig is
compartmented.

>As for using shell functions and passing program names and whatnot
>as parameters, there are enough special cases out there that this
>may not be worthwhile. Things like:

I guess what is boils down to is how to make it reasonably
foolishness-proof and yet not bloat the thing with a zillion checks.  A
backup shell script I wrote could be done with far few than the almost 300
lines it has, but with mounting and unmounting going on, I decided to make
it more bulletproof than easily readable.

With that in mind, it could be done with extensive checks, but where would
they go?  Certainly not in sysconfig or newer users would be a bit lost.

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990