Date:      Sun, 05 Jul 1998 16:00:36 -0400
From:      Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wrap line to 72 or 76 in e-mail?

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Sunday,  5 July 1998 at  0:45:09 -0400, Malartre wrote:
> > Does there is any official page on how to wrap line in e-mails?
> > 72 characters or 76 characters?
>
> Do you mean how to do it, or where to do it?
>
> How to do it depends on your mailer.  With Netscape, the answer is
> "with difficulty".  I'd recommend using a real editor to write the
> messages, and getting it to do the wrapping for you.
>
> Where to wrap is a matter of taste.  Some people put in valid claims
> for lines as long as 110 characters, which I think is far too large.
> >From a comfort point of view, I'd say that 90 is getting too much.
> >From the viewpoint of many people who don't use X, 79 is the limit:
> after that, lines start wrapping.  I personally use 70 characters,
> though I wonder if it wouldn't be better to use 75.
>
> In case you're interested, I've got a fair collection of suggestions
> at http://www.lemis.com/email.html.
>
> Greg
My question was not "how do I wrap line" but "how much characters by
line". Me and Dag-Erling Coidan where talking about
http://www.aei.ca/~malartre/how-to-ask-en.html
http://www.aei.ca/~malartre/how-to-ask-fr.html
I was saying to wrap line to 72 characters in the body of the mail, but
he say than the .signature should be of 4 line X 76 characters(USENET).
Well, I would like to know if there is a place where there is
recommandation on that subject.
--
[Malartre]
[malartre@aei.ca][ICQ#4224434][www.aei.ca/~malartre/][www.FreeBSD.ORG]