Date:      Sat, 30 May 1998 22:09:05 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        obrien@NUXI.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems with SCSI drives over sd9?

David O'Brien wrote:

> > Basically the same procedure which has worked for sd0 through sd9 doesn't
> > appear to work for sd10...
>
> This sounds slightly related to a fix I made in libdisk in which
> Disk_Names() woulnd't probe any disk greater than sd9.  I only
> experieneced a problem with sysinstall, so I don't think this is your
> problem... but just to make sure, see if you have the most current
> src/lib/libdisk/disk.c.

Hi,

Jordan got involved with this for a bit, then it got kinda dropped... As far
as I can tell - the system won't write disklabels to drives over sd9... If I
forcibly re-wire the drives down into the sd0-8 range I can label, partition
etc. fine...

newfs works regardless of the sdX, it's just labels I'm having problems
with... If I try to disklabel say sd12 - it 'seems' to work, but when you
read the label back you get disk label's 'worst' guess for the label, not
what you'd just told it to write...

I'm running 3.0-CURRENT, made as of about 2 weeks ago...

I've seen the change in sysinstall, before it would only list up to sd9, now
it correctly lists up to sd14... Labelling etc. from sysinstall still fails
though... All of this is with no error messages :-(

Regards,

Karl Pielorz