Date:      Thu, 25 Nov 1999 07:26:08 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Kurt Jaeger" <pi@complx.LF.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IP or packet Accounting Software for burst connections.

Hi!

> > >   That seems rather silly, since ipfw can do that already.

> > ipfw only counts bytes and packets. It does not log touples of
> > (src ip,dst ip,byte count, packet count) which is what is required
> > for full ip accounting.

>   Yes, but you can specify the tuples that are significant.  I doubt that
> anyone wants every possible combination.

There are interesting results if one does the full walk.

e.G. just using the size variation of hourly/daily/etc matrices lets
you detect in- and outgoing network scans.

And yes, there are customers that want us to be able to track every
<src,dst> pair. This is Europe, where IP traffic until very recently
was more expensive than disk space.

--
MfG/Best regards, Kurt Jaeger                                  21 years to go !
LF.net GmbH        pi@LF.net            Oberon.net GmbH   pi@oberon.net