Date:      Fri, 3 Mar 2000 18:05:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0-CURRENT hangs in ex_isa_identify() (was: current hangs during boot if ET/5025-16 card is installed)

On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Don Lewis wrote:
> Unfortunately the GENERIC kernel doesn't have a driver that could claim
> the ET card.  Also ex_isa_identify() is called before the legacy ISA
> probes are done.
>
> IMHO, the best way to fix this would be for the dual-mode PnP/legacy
> drivers to identify any cards in PnP mode, then do legacy ISA probes
> using the old hard-wired port numbers, where legacy ISA probes can
> be controlled by userconfig.  This is really ugly, but then we all
> agree that ISA sucks.

I think the best solution is to rip broken hardware out of your computer.

There isn't any reason that the ET should lock up the system when its IO
ports are read.

The 'ex' driver is about the most non-destructive probe we've got.

It no longer uses the ISA compat shims; its a fully newbus'ed driver.

I agree that we need some way to enable/disable newbus drivers in the
visual userconfig though.  This isn't likely to happen until after 4.0.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |