Date:      Sun, 26 Aug 2001 16:56:50 -0400
From:      Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org>

Mike,

> As a spam prevention measure, FreeBSD *requires* that mail come from a
> host with an IP address with a valid reverse name setup.

What counts as valid - just having a PTR?

> You can use dynamic dns with this, so long as the service provider has
> reverse DNS set up for your IP address.

I have yet to see an ISP who offers dynamic reverse DNS for their IP
blocks. For that matter I have yet to see an ISP offer DDNS at all. The
ISP will own the reverse domain and will map your IP to something like
Obviously, only your ISP can practically do reverse DDNS.

The fact that I can post and my forward and reverse names are different
seems to imply that maybe just having a reverse entry suffices.

I trust that the data shows that this restriction has sufficient benefit
to justify excluding users who through no fault of their own don't have a
PTR.

-Andrew-