Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 01:32:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alex Pilosov <alex@pilosoft.com>
To:        "Gary T. Corcoran" <gcorcoran@lucent.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: netgraph/atm

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Gary T. Corcoran wrote:

> > yep.. If that's what rfc1483 (the rfc) treats as input and output.
>
> Actually RFC1483 has four "flavors", two of which support "bridging"
> of complete 802.3 ethernet frames including the MAC addresses - either
> encapsulated with an LLC/SNAP header or "raw" with just a two byte
> (0x00, 0x00) pad for alignment purposes.  Another flavor removes the
> MAC addresses, prepends a 6-byte LLC/OUI header, and preserves the
> EtherType and the rest of the frame.  The other flavor just routes
> a PDU (raw packet with no MAC addressses or EtherType) across a VC
> (ATM virtual channel) with no encapsulation at all.
Yeah. I'm just implementing it to scratch my itch, and I'll see about
support of everything else later. I'm definitely going to try to support
llc/snap and raw mode. Without the ethertype, its 'routed PDU', and is
already handled just fine by existing ATM stacks.

> Alex - if you intend to make your code public, and if you feel
> ambititious, it would be nice if you could support all four flavors
> of RFC1483.  Then we could replace our Win2000 server with a FreeBSD
> server for testing our DSL implementations of RFC1483...   ;-)
Yes, we are also doing it for DSL. Its quite unfortunate that telcos chose
'bridged mac/llc' as preferred method of delivery of DSL, since it has the
biggest overhead...But I guess for them transparency was the biggest
issue. Oh well.