Date:      Sat, 1 May 2010 14:45:44 +0200
From:      Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>
To:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   [Extension] utmpx and LOGIN_FAILURE

--7aQJ/pUO7E0NVzIB

Hi all,

Some time ago I noticed some operating systems offer an interface called
btmp, which is essentially a wtmp for logging failed login attempts.
Instead of taking the same approach, I'd rather do something as follows:

	http://80386.nl/pub/utmpx-login_failure.diff.txt

This patch adds a new utmpx log entry type called LOGIN_FAILURE.
Unfortunately we are the only operating system that does it this way,
but I suspect if we can already get OpenSSH and PAM to use this
interface, we've got reasonable coverage. The patch only has the
modifications for OpenSSH.

An example of what this looks like:

| $ last | grep failed
| sdlfkjdf            mekker.80386.nl        Sat May  1 14:14   login failed

The idea behind having this, is to make logging of such failed attempts
more generic and easier to obtain. It would be quite nice if
applications like DenyHosts can simply harvest this database using
getutxent(3), instead of using all sorts of regular expressions on the
log files.

Any thoughts on this subject?

--=20
 Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>