Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 1995 13:04:54 +0000
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@star-gate.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Sound driver V30 available

--------

The new sound driver and vmix  is available at :
ftp.shell.best.com:/pub/hasty/sndv3.x.tar.gz
ftp.shell.best.com:/pub/hasty/vmix.tar.gz

If you do decide to try the new sound driver, then make sure that :

(a) you copy /sys/i386/isa/sound{ultrasound.h soundcard.h} to
    /usr/include/machine

(b) recompile your sound apps

If you have a plain old GUS after recompiling the apps everything
should work for you . I recompiled all the sound apps available in
FreeBSD-current and tested them with my GUS.

The available sound driver  is configured for my GUS MAX. The GUS MAX
support needs a bit more work;however, the driver as it is configured
it works with maplay, gmod , playmidi, adagio's mp, and nas.
With my P66  I was able to play a 44.1k stereo sample mpeg file.
There is a bug in the MAX's /dev/audio code or the (CS4321) code
which makes playback to /dev/audio stop however mod players and midi
players are still able to work.

Last but not least I just got a GUS MAX so hopefully I should be able
to beef up the MAX support. If others are interested in tinkering with
the driver, Jim included in the driver Gravi's documentations for their
sound kit -- ultrawrd.ps.

There is no vat driver available with this release. The plan is to
use Jim's vmix tool which interfaces to vat via a socket interface.
This should in theory work with all supported sound cards.
vmix is a pre-alpha release and I hope that by making the sources
available others will be able to contribute and make it a robust tool.
vmix is also a mix a tcl/tk interface to the mixers so you can control
mic, line, pcm, synth devices... Just build it and play with it.

Many thanks to Hannu Savolainen for making V30 available and to  Jim Lowe for
all his cools hacks :)

I have to go now Bettina is pacing up and down ready to tear my head off...

	Enjoy,
	Amancio