Date:      Sun, 29 Aug 1999 23:17:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "James C. Durham" <durham@sludge.pgh.pa.us>
To:        lange92@cns.uni.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2 NE2000 ethernet cards in FreeBSD?

lange92@cns.uni.edu wrote:

>I am trying without success to make FreeBSD find my second ethernet
>card. I am using 2 inexpensive ethernet cards (Realtek 8019) that work
>with the NE2000 driver. Using the visual configuration manager at
>installation time, I was able to configure device ed0 as my first
>ethernet
>card. However, it would not allow me to configure an ed1 device.  I am
>attempting to configure this system as a firewall.
>  I am using the 3.1-RELEASE version, using whatever generic kernel it
(chop)

I just checked my 3.1 system. The GENERIC kernel has no ed1 device
compiled in it.

You will have to go to /usr/src/sys/i386/conf and copy the file
GENERIC to another name. Then edit that file, let's call
it SITENAME after line 173 to include an ed1 device.
Just copy the ed0 entry right above it, changing the device
name to ed1 and putting in the address and irq you are using
for ed1. Most modern cards don't use the iomem parameter, so
0xdC000 would be good for a filler.

Save the file, exit the editor, and do "config SITENAME" .
cd upward to ../../compile/SITENAME and do
"make depend" and then "make".

When the kernel is done, do:

mv /kernel /kernel.old
mv kernel /kernel