Date:      Thu, 27 May 2004 11:47:14 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Tim Kientzle <kientzle@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg_create @cwd and @srcdir

--CblX+4bnyfN0pR09

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 08:19:40PM -0700, Tim Kientzle wrote:
> Brenden Grace wrote:
> >In this thread:
> >http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2003-June/001673.html
> >
> >some people seem to think that @cwd is broken. The man pages do not
> >explicitly state how @cwd should operate, but currently the directory
> >must exist for pkg_create to run properly.
> >
> >This is extremely annoying because build machines *must* create the
> >final directory structure of the target install before the package can
> >be created.

I thought the directory structure is supposed to be created using
mtree files?  The ports collection runs 'mtree' before running the actual
'make install' in the port's working directory; as for pkg_add and
generated packages, they should include a @mtree directive in +CONTENTS
and an +MTREE_DIRS file...

> >So my question is, does the 5.2.1 version of pkg_create contain a bug or
> >is pkg_create really just very limited?
>=20
> Try it with bsdtar as the system default tar
> and see if that behaves any differently.
> (WITH_BSDTAR=3D1 in /etc/make.conf).

Errr, that's all fine and good, but how about people who still use GNU
tar for various reasons, such as sticking with RELENG_4? :)  Or do you
have any plans for MFC'ing libarchive/bsdtar into RELENG_4 (please please
please!), even without making it the default?
   =20
G'luck,
Peter

--=20
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net    roam@sbnd.net    roam@FreeBSD.org
=2Esiht ekil ti gnidaer eb d'uoy ,werbeH ni erew ecnetnes siht fI

--CblX+4bnyfN0pR09

--CblX+4bnyfN0pR09--