Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 23:28:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Eric Lee Burns <burns+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: XF86 keyboard lockup issue

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Eric Lee Burns wrote:

> Hi, I am experiencing a really infuriating bug with virtually every X
> server I have tried for FreeBSD, including XF86 3.2-3.3.2 and AccelX 3.1
> and 4.1.  If the server ever dies, it takes the entire console with it.
> Basically, all keyboard control becomes locked out except for
> ctrl-alt-del, which works.  Trying to switch virtual consoles with
> ctrl-alt-f* or just alt-f* produces a beep, and anything else does
> nothing.

I've had the same problem with the XFree86 3.2 releases and older versions
of FreeBSD.  The problem is rooted in the X-syscons interaction and is
hard to debug.  I haven't experienced it with X 3.3.2 and FreeBSD
2.2.5-RELEASE, but I don't swap away from X much.

> The system never crashes with the X server.  It always stays up, and X
> can actually be started again.  If X is started, it generally produces
> some error about not being able to open the appropriate console, and
> starts anyway. In XF86's case, this error is "VT_ACTIVATE: cannot open
> console" or something along those lines.

Interesting. That may be coming from xconsole.  Do you have
`options UCONSOLE' compiled into your kernel?

> I took a look at the permissions on /dev/ttyv*.  I added vty4-8 myself.
> All the devices are owned by root, but only ttyv0-2 belong to group
> "tty" and have a group writeable flag (crw--w----).  I think this may
> have something to do with the problem.

As a reference the modes on my ttyv* are 600, not 620 like yours.  Owner
is root:wheel.

What does /etc/ttys look like?

> Does anyone know if there is a workaround for this?  I know the keyboard
> lockout problem can be reproduced fairly easily.  If you are running
> XF86, load XDM, log in, and exit.  While the server is restarting, hold
> down some random keys.  When the server comes up, it will be impossible
> to switch virtual consoles.  (I haven't tested this since XF86 3.3, it
> may have been fixed since then.)

Obviously, don't push random keys while the server is starting :-)  The
best way is to not get too busy about swapping consoles -- press it once
and wait.

> One more thing... can anyone recommend an appropriate way to start XDM?
> All I have now is a hack script in /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d.  I have been
> told that there is some way to do it through /etc/ttys, but I don't know
> how.

I simply run `xdm' from /etc/rc.local.