Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 1999 09:11:07 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Somnath Banerjee" <sb@vedika.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Help!!!

> I have installed jdk1.1.8 for freebsd unix on a bsdi unix machine and
                                ^^^^^^^           ^^^^

The FreeBSD JDK will *NOT* work on BSDi.  The shared library
implementation is radically different, and getting it to work is
non-trivial.

BSDi has been claiming to have a JDK port 'Real Soon Now' for about 3
years, but so far I've yet to see something.  Go whine at them and tell
them to support Java like they said they will.

In the meantime, you won't be able to use the FreeBSD stuff, so you
*must* get BSDi (or someone with a BSDi box) to do it.

(Someone hired me to do a 'quickie' port of the JDK to BSDi a while
back, and after looking into it I decided a 'quickie' port would take
more than a couple of days, which is all they were willing to pay me
for, so I punted....)

Nate