Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2000 11:10:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>
To:        Matthew Jonkman <jonkman@bussert.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Jon Rust <jpr@vcnet.com>
Subject:   Re: Shell prompts

Hi,

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Matthew Jonkman wrote:

> I am using tcsh for no real reason, if bash is that cut and dried then
> I will probably go to that. Does tcsh have similar capabilities?

If you're using tcsh you can do, for a simple prompt:

	set prompt = "${mch:q}: {\!} "

and shove that in your .cschrc or .tcshrc.

There are certainly more complicated things you can do!  This won't tell
you what directory you're in, but ...

man tcsh to see the options (scroll down to the prompt environment
variable) or install dotfile (/usr/ports/misc/dotfile) and have a tk based
gui to configure your prompt.  Add a %/ to get the current working
directory for instance.  This can get long so you're better off doing
something like %c[[0]3] will give the 3 trailing components of the current
working directory.

Brett
Dr. Brett Taylor         brett@peloton.runet.edu    *
Dept of Chem and Physics			    *
Curie 39A	(540) 831-6147                      *
Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics		    *
Walker 234	(540) 831-5410			    *