Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 2000 16:46:58 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: mouse question....

>    This is a long shot, but here goes.  --On my other FBSD system
>    which is as 4.0, the mouse won't work.  A friend just checked
>    the hardware ports, switched the mouse from COM1 to COM2.  (COM2
>    or, in the case of my modem, /dev/cuaa1, is working.)  Zip;
>    nothing.  He tried the mouse on this system on the other.  Again,
>    nothinng.  He thinks that in my upgrading to 4.0, part of my
>    mouse software may have been hosed.
>
>    Any suggestions how I can diagnose the software side of this?
>
>    I'm stumped.

It is not easy to determine what is wrong based on relatively
few information.

Please do the following to diagnose the problem.

1. Hook up the mouse (it's a serial mouse, right?) to COM1

2. Become root.

3. Don't run X yet. Kill `moused' if it is already running.
   (Run "ps aux | grep mouse" to see if it is running. Kill it if any.)

4. Run moused in the information mode as follows:
	moused -p /dev/cuaa0 -i all
   You should get some information if the mouse is a PnP mouse or a
   Microsoft-compatible mouse.  Something like:
	/dev/cuaa0 serial microsoft generic

5. Run moused again, this time in the debug mode:
	moused -p /dev/cuaa0 -d -f
   If you move mouse and click buttons, you should see mouse status
   information should be printed.  Type ^C to stop moused.
   If this seems Ok, then you should edit /etc/rc.conf and
   put the following lines there:
	moused_enable="YES"
	moused_type="auto"
	moused_port="/dev/cuaa0"
   Then, edit /etc/XF86Config and set the mouse protocol to "Auto" and
   the mouse device to "/dev/sysmouse".
   Start moused in the daemon mode by hand for now (this will automatically
   done the next time the system is rebooted.)
	moused -p /dev/cuaa0 -t auto

6. If moused says 'cannot determine mouse type...' in 4, the mouse
   may be a MouseSystems-compatible mouse, or it may be broken.
   If the mouse is considered MouseSystems-compatible, you can
   test the mouse as follows:
	moused -p /dev/cuaa0 -d -f -t mousesystems
   If this is successful Ok, then you should edit /etc/rc.conf and
   put the following lines there:
	moused_enable="YES"
	moused_type="mousesystems"
	moused_port="/dev/cuaa0"
   Edit /etc/XF86Config and set the mouse protocol to "Auto" and
   the mouse device to "/dev/sysmouse".
   Start moused in the daemon mode by hand for now (this will automatically
   done the next time the system is rebooted.)
	moused -p /dev/cuaa0 -t mousesystems

Hope this might help....

Kazu