Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2002 13:23:41 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, Robert Drehmel <robert@zoot.drehmel.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, robert@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: changing 'struct utmp'

Peter Wemm wrote:
> > See
> > http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904975/functions/getutxent.html
> >
> > >See also the standardized definition of utmpx.h.
> >
> > http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904975/basedefs/utmpx.h.html
>
> Incidently, there's nothing here that requires there be a flat file
> backing this stuff with fixed size records.  A .db file with a format
> descriptor could implement this API just fine.

Or even a system call, as Robert suggested.

It also meets the criteria of something that will make xterm
immune to breakage from future changes.

All in all, Poul is still right -- utmpx is the way to go,
going forward.  I still think it might be worthwhile fixing
the IPv6 issue with the current code, using Garrett's
sockaddr_storage, but not doing anything beyond overflow
bugfixing to the current utmp code.

-- Terry