Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 1999 14:09:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Seth <seth@freebie.dp.ny.frb.org>
To:        Radu-Cristian FOTESCU <rfotescu@idsrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What to tell to Linux-centric people?!

My comments inline.

On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, Radu-Cristian FOTESCU wrote:

> Now, I'm asking myself what to tell to Linux users that are asking me...
>
> 1. Why Linux has bash as default and FreeBSD csh? They want "command
> history" with ARROWS, not with "!".

It's not hard to install the latest bash from the ports collection:
/usr/ports/shells/bash2.  I heard somewhere that the reason csh is the
default is because csh was the default shell in the early BSD's, and that
it's still there out of [respect|tradition].  Once users are familiar with
ports and chsh, changing shells is a no-brainer.

> 2. Why Linux has "ls-color" by default and FreeBSD doesn't? [please excuse
> me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen FreeBSD since 30 months ago, I can't
> install it now, only Linux boxes are available here and for the moment I
> don't own a PC!]

/usr/ports/misc/colorls will "colorize" ls output.  So will
/usr/ports/misc/gnuls.

> 3. What is the performance loss when running Linux apps under emulation in
> FreeBSD [assuming no sources are available].

People have claimed that in some cases, running linux apps under emulation
actually gives *better* performance than in a native linux environment.
I've never benchmarked any of this personally, but the reference is out
there somewhere.

> 4. Why _nobody_ is making a site like "http://www.linuxapps.com/" for the
> *BSD system(s) in order to find easier apps?

Because the application list is already on any modern FreeBSD system if
you've installed the ports collection.  Ports is one of the FreeBSD's
greatest strengths.  It's searchable ("cd /usr/ports; make search
key=foo"), the indices are HTML-ified on freebsd.org/ports, and they take
up very little space on a system, requiring only skeleton directory
structures.  There's no need for a "linuxapps" equivalent.  If you can
find the source to a given application, you can probably get it to build
on a FreeBSD box with little or no modification.  Search Yahoo, Freshmeat,
or your apps-engine of choice if the application you want isn't already
in the ports collection.

> Even images with the BSD daemon are impossible to find in sizes and formats
> that would make them suitable for a wallpaper or something like that...

Have you checked http://advocacy.freebsd.org/ammunition/images.html?

SB