Date:      Wed,  5 Mar 2003 18:00:13 +0100
From:      Adrian Steinmann <ast@marabu.ch>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        subscriber@insignia.com, "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Plea for base system trim

I use this command in my build script to force apache13+modssl to use
the openssl in base.

# Use base openssl (OpenSSL 0.9.7a as of Feb 19 2003)
cd /usr/ports/www/apache13-modssl
cp Makefile Makefile-
sed -ie 's/^\.include.*Makefile\.ssl.*$/OPENSSLBASE=\/usr/' Makefile- >Makefile

You wrote:
   On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 09:54:13AM -0000, Subscriber wrote:
   > Having just done two rebuilds for recent OpenSSL and sendmail
   > vulnerabilities, I was surprised to discover that building the port
   > of apache13-modssl required the build of a port version of
   > OpenSSL when I had the most updated (4.7) base system with
   > OpenSSL in it!. I hate having two versions installed; it makes me
   > fear that there will be problems caused by the wrong version being
   > used.

   You are right to hate having two versions installed --- it is
   pointless in most cases.  Please complain to the apache+mod_ssl and
   openssl port maintainers.  It sounds to me like they are doing
   something very wrong.

   Cheers,
   - --
   Jacques A. Vidrine <nectar@celabo.org>          http://www.celabo.org/
   NTT/Verio SME          .     FreeBSD UNIX     .       Heimdal Kerberos
   jvidrine@verio.net     .  nectar@FreeBSD.org  .          nectar@kth.se

Adrian