Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 1998 22:15:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Brian Handy <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Subject:   Re: silo overflows (Was Re: 3.0-RELEASE?)

>> > I can tell you that uniquivocally XFree86 causes this to happen.
>>
>> I am guessing it is something to do with the S3 chip.
>
>But I didn't change boards when I changed X servers.  XFree86 caused
>them, XIG didn't.  The hardware was exactly the same, the only
>difference was the Xserver.

I have two boxes running Xig:  One is a P5-133, the other is a PII-300.  I
just rummaged through the logs back unto creation, and neither show the
dreaded sio overflow.  (I complained about this a couple of years back.
Somebody accused me of pushing my serial port too hard or something.  My
serial mouse was triggering the overflows. :-)

Brian