Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 1996 10:43:19 +0000
From:      "Ian Kallen" <ian@gamespot.com>
To:        Gregory James Hormann <ghormann@indiana.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3com509 vs 3com509b

I'm using the 509b with no difficulty whatsoever.  I think it's
circulated around the list a lot lately but I'll indulge anyway:

1)  You must have a BIOS that permits you to set an IRQ to an ISA device
      (make that IRQ unavailable to the PCI bus)

2) Boot DOS, use the 3c5x9.exe on the 3com floppy to turn off chug
    and pray in the card's prom

3) Set the base memory and IRQ in the 3509b prom

In my case I set it on IRQ 12 at 0x280 (i.e. IRQ 12 is reserved for an ISA
device in the BIOS) -- I compiled it into the kernel but it can also
be set by booting with -c -- my entry in the kernel config looks
like:

device ep0 at isa? port 0x280 net irq 12 vector epintr

Compile the kernel with that and bingo: good to go!

> To:            tcg@ime.net
> Cc:            Gregory James Hormann <ghormann@indiana.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject:       Re: 3com509 vs 3com509b
> Date:          Thu, 08 Aug 1996 10:34:59 -0400
> From:          Mark Plummer <markus@clark.net>

> > Gregory James Hormann wrote:
> > >
> > > I need to purchase a Ethernet card.  I am looking into the 3com
> > > 3c509B-combo.  The ep driver supports 3c509, is that the same as the
> > > 3c509B?
> > >
> > I *belive* the 'B' is the only one supported!
> >
> > -Enjoy
> > Gary
>
> hello,
>
>     i have had old 3c509's work very well, but anything i buy today is
> designated 3c509B and has never worked for me.  it seems to me that the
> 509 and the 509B are very different with only the 509 supported.  i'd love
> for someone to post authoritatively on the subject, but this has been my
> experience.  if you are looking for a decent, cheap 8-bit card, try one
> of the many NE2000 compatible cards.  they will likely be cheaper, give
> you less hassle than the 3coms, and be much easier to find.
>
> markus
>
> -- Mark Plummer, markus@clark.net, +1 410 796 1272

Ian Kallen                           ian@gamespot.com
     Director of Technology & Web Administration
            http://www.gamespot.com