Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 2016 10:41:19 +0100
From:      John Marino <freebsdml@marino.st>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter@rulingia.com>
Subject:   Re: Removing documentation

On 2/8/2016 8:34 AM, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2016-Feb-08 01:53:06 +0100, John Marino <freebsdml@marino.st> wrote:
> There's nothing in that statement that makes Synth "clearly superior"
> to portmaster.  It suggests that Synth might be an alternative to
> poudriere.

Synth is comparable to poudriere.  It's faster, it is more user friend,
it works out of the box (no need to set up jails and trees).  However,
the build mechanisms are very similar.

> How does Synth handle ports that depend on themselves (Modula, Java and
> Go, off the top of my head)?  Does this mean that if I already have a
> JDK installed, Synth is going to download one of the JDK packages anyway,
> just so it can build a new JDK in a "clean" environment?

It works the same as poudriere.  It will download a new JDK, and not use
an installed one to bootstrap.  If the package has been previously
downloaded, there's hardly any cost, otherwise yes, a CLEAN environment
is the top priority.  Dirty environments are asking for trouble and yes,
it's inferior.  If you disagree with that point, let's just agree to
disagree.

> And there are also a number of cases where a port's dependency can be
> fulfilled by a number of unrelated ports - eg graphics/jpeg and
> graphics/jpeg-turbo can both fulfil a dependency on libjpeg.so.  How
> does Synth decide which to use?

It uses the port framework, which dictates all of this.  One can
influence it with customer variables in a make.conf fragment.  It's
basically identical to poudriere.

John