Date:      Fri, 03 Mar 2000 16:45:36 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   diskprep beta -- comments wanted.

OK.  I've written a simple diskprep program.  It will take a disk, put
slice information (fdisk) and partition information (disklabel) onto
the disk.  By default, it will create one slice (1) and one partition
on that (a).  It will also newfs all partitions that are on the disk.
It supports reading in a config file which can change this behavior.

I've not written a man page yet.

diskprep <disk>

is all you should need.  I've tested this on a scsi drive, as well as
couple of different compact flash/pccard flash cards that I have
kicking around the office.

WARNING: While I've taken all the usual steps to ensure that this
doesn't do bad things.  It has been tested on exactly two machines,
one with a SCSI disk, and one with a CF card plugged into a pccard
bus.  I've tried to put good error checking, but I'm not positive I've
caught all the possible problems.

It doesn't work with vn devices.

You will need the fdisk patches from
	http://people.freebsd.org/~imp/fdisk-patch	[*]
and you can get diskprep from
	http://people.freebsd.org/~imp/diskprep

It is based on a similar idea that pkh did with his prep.fla.sh.  The
only thing that is left from that is the beerware license, which I
figured was good to rip off from phk :-).

Please let me know how this works.  I'd like to see this in FreeBSD in
the fullness of time.  It will be a useful tool and end a lot of the
frustration I've seen in connection with the setting up of disks.

Comments?

Warner

[*] -e -> -I and -s talked about in other posts.