Date:      Sun, 23 Jul 2000 15:11:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@pike.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        nimrodm@email.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD onto second HDD

Nimrod Mesika wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 23, 2000 at 11:42:19AM -0700, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> > * Tamgiao Nguyen <tnguye21@umbc.edu> [000723 11:27] wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > 1> Is it possible to install FreeBSD, IN ITS ENTIRETY, onto the
> > > second IDE HDD? (All 4 primary partitions on my first HDD are in
> > > use.)
> > >
> > > 2> Must FreeBSD be installed to a primary partition (slice) or is
> > > it any-disk-any-partition like Linux?
> >
> > Yes, and yes (primary partition only).
>
> What is the reason behind that requirement (primary partition)?  I
> thought a logical partition is just like any other partition, so what
> seems to be the problem - the loader?

Well, extended partitions present an annoying problem.  For primary
partitions, you just read the MBR and take a best guess as to which
one you came from (preferring active FreeBSD slices over non-active).
With extended, you have to go load the slice table from each one to
try and a find a FreeBSD slice.  We only have about 512 - 66 = 446 bytes
to do this in. :)  Not only that, but you need a well-defined scheme
for numbering sub-slices so that when boot1 passes a BIOS drive number
and a slice number to boot2, boot2 can find the same slice to use when

> Maybe it's worth fixing (along with the <1024 cylinder requirement -
> new LILO versions & new BIOS'es are known to overcome that limit).

I just finished fixing this.

--

John Baldwin <jhb@bsdi.com> -- http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/