Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 04:28:46 -0400
From:      "Troy Settle" <rewt@i-Plus.net>
To:        "Justin Ashworth" <ashworth@esus.cs.montana.edu>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Change another user's password?

From: Justin Ashworth <ashworth@esus.cs.montana.edu>
>On Sat, 19 Jul 1997, Troy Settle wrote:
>
>> From: Justin Ashworth <ashworth@cs.montana.edu>
>> >Yes, but read my original message...the users don't have shell access.
>> >That's the whole tough thing about this. I guess it's just not doable.
>>
>> Have you thought about setting users' shells to /usr/bin/passwd?  I've
seen
>> it working on many other systems, and haven't noted any particular
security
>> risks.
>
>  That's been suggested and I actually considered it before. The problem
>is that we have about three machines with different passwd files (no NIS+
>or rdist to speak of). If a user changes their password on the POP mail
>server, they will assume that it changed their password on the web
server.
>The next time they go to upload their web page, they're going to call our
>support line and ask why their password doesn't work. Not worth the
>hassle. All I really need is a way for one user to change another user's
>password - if that's possible. Remember, su'ing to root is out of the
>question because I will need to be prompted for the old password so that
>not just anybody can change another user's password. Also note that the
>users can't change their passwords themselves because they don't have
>shell access.

Whoah... perhaps I'm being dense this morning.  Let's pick this apart a
bit.

user logs into a guest account on server A.  They run this modified passwd
program to change another user's password (their own password actually).
How do servers B and C get updated?  Here, you run into the same problem as
using /usr/bin/passwd as a login shell.  Either way, only 1 out of the 3
servers has the new password.

*shrug*  either Justin or myself is lost... I think I'm going to go back to
bed.

Troy Settle <st@i-Plus.net>
Network Administrator, iPlus Internet Services
http://www.i-Plus.net