Date:      Sat, 1 May 1999 18:00:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        ben@scientia.demon.co.uk (Ben Smithurst)
Cc:        kline@tera.com, kstewart@3-cities.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: printjob.c

According to Ben Smithurst:
> Gary Kline wrote:
>
> > 	Sure.  This would have  been pretty common, both  by new users
> > 	and by the more seasoned user.
> >
> > 	Doug White, if you have any time, maybe you can think of
> > 	something obscure...  Why execv() fails in printjob.c,
> > 	andor why lpr doesn't queue anything.
>
> One thing you may or may not have checked: if it's a script of some sort,
> is the #! line correct?

	I find the #! line 3 spaces down in hpif and thought,
	Wow!  But I fixed that and retried "lpr hpif"  and no-joy.

	Here is the script that I swiped from the Search page.
	The script may be bad;  No more "cannot execv %s" errors;
	now the error is from lp.

May  1 17:46:22 tao su: kline to root on /dev/ttyp1
May  1 17:46:51 tao lpd[15275]: lp: job could not be printed (cfA400tao.thought.org)

#!/bin/sh
#
#  ifhp - Print Ghostscript-simulated PostScript on a Canon BJC-4100
#  Installed in /usr/local/libexec/hpif
#
#  Treat LF as CR+LF:
#
printf "\033&k2G" || exit 2
#
#  Read first two characters of the file
#
read first_line
first_two_chars=`expr "$first_line" : '\(..\)'`
if [ "$first_two_chars" = "%!" ]; then
    #
    #  It is PostScript; use Ghostscript to scan-convert and print it
    #
    /usr/local/bin/gs -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -q -sDEVICE=epsonc
-sOutputFile=- - \
        && ex

	So: new errs.  Any idea what's causing this complaint from
	``lp''?

	hmmm.

	thanks!

	gary