Date:      Fri, 7 Jul 2000 19:03:15 +0200
From:      Marcin Cieslak <saper@system.pl>
To:        Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: /etc/rc.shutdown calls local scripts now

Gerhard Sittig (Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net) napisał(a):
> Regarding the 'stop' sequence I feel this to be no pain either.
> What's the difference between simply TERMing all processes and
> shutting down a service by a script knowing the daemon and
> environment better than kill?

There is always one more way to do it(TM).

IBM ported to AIX something resembling good ol' mainframes
and it's called System Resource Controller.

Most daemons are linked with special SRC library (they
did it even with sendmail) which allows some communication
with a daemon: the simplest form is the signal communication
(plain kill(2)), but more sophisticated control is achieved
with the use of pipes -  SRC controller queries the
process (or "subsystem" in IBM lingo) if it's running and active.

One just uses "startsrc -s sendmail" or "stopsrc -s sendmail" to kick
it up or down. SRC may remember which command-line arguments are to be
supplied to command - in sendmail's case be it "-bd -q1h".

What's even more funny, they went even deeper to support
inetd, where inetd services, called "subservers", may be
interactively started/stopped using "start/stopsrc -t tftp" syntax.
It even comments out the relevant /etc/inetd.conf line!

Of course "lssrc" command shows the current status of all
subservers/subsystems showing even PID's.

However, personally I prefer the usual FreeBSD rc.conf way....

--
                 << Marcin Cieslak // saper@system.pl >>