Date:      Sat, 21 Nov 1998 17:06:34 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        Jacques Vidrine <n@nectar.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SDSL in Silicon Valley

Actually, my sdsl router supports network address translation
(ip masquerading)  and/or static ip addressing it also serves as
a firewall if I want to enable it. Had to snoop on the net
figure out its default address after that it was a snap to talk
to it via ethernet. I am really impress by the little bugger 8)

It has survive mbone traffic which is really nice since some router's memory
allocation scheme fall over when faced with lots of udp traffic like
from vic .

I am aware that my charges are high however when speaking to a
buddy of mine about it he claims that  isp and telcos's will charge
what the market can bear :(

> Moved to -chat
>
> Jacques Vidrine writes:
> >
> > [sorry so off-topic, but I had to respond]
> >
> > !!  And to think that sometimes I believe that we're in a backwater
> > down in New Orleans...
> >
> > About two months ago I gave up my 128kbps ISDN line for an ADSL line
> > (256kbps upstream, 1536kbps downstream).  The ISDN line had cost me
> > $80/mo from BellSouth, and (if I would have been paying) $30/mo from
> > my ISP.   Now, I pay nothing to BellSouth, and (if I had to pay, I
> > would be) paying my ISP $60/mo.  My ADSL router was free (though
> > it doesn't have a built-in hub).
> >
> > I would have expected better connectivity options in the Bay Area!
>
> Sounds like Jacques has a *free* ADSL connection? Or by dropping the
> $80 ISDN service the $60 ADSL service yeilds a $20 surplus?
>
> BellSouth has been running test cases of ADSL in a few cities. Wander
> around http://www.bellsouth.com a little, search for ADSL, and you'll
> find them (at bellsouth.net). I am told in the Birmingham area such ADSL
> service was $30 per month (including ISP services). From the marketing
> geniuses (and PSC) who charged $80/month for ISDN and lately got it
> changed so new ISDN customers pay by the minute for use over 200 hours/
> month.
>
> BellSouth.net's posted rates for ADSL (including ISP service) is $59.95/
> month. Discount it by $10 if you inflate your telephone service by $16
> of additional features. They are careful not to state data rates. There
> is about $100 installation fee. And about $200 more for the ADSL modem.
>
> Also don't expect a static IP address (wouldn't that be sweet?) I asked
> but all I got was a form letter stating, "Sorry but ADSL is not
> available in your area yet. We'll inform you when it is."
>
> Most cable modems are pretty minimal, expect the same for most ADSL
> modems. Meaning the modem only talks IP on the ethernet to the first IP
> address it hears after a reset. Meaning you don't want a real network
> between your modem and FreeBSD box. OTOH the FreeBSD box makes a great
> router/firewall/NAT for the rest of your net.
>
> In the part of this message I cut, Amancio stated his $490 SDSL modem/
> router included a 4-port 10baseT hub. Nice touch. Nice to have at least
> a minimal router in the thing. The PC mentality is "cheap" so I expect
> xDSL modems with routers built in will be delegated to the same status
> as SCSI devices, "only for rich geeks."

Gosh I am going to tell Bettina that I am a rich geek....

Serious $490 is not bad for what it appears to be  a good router/modem
I paid $750 for my Ascend Pipeline 50 3 years ago so it is inline with
Bettina's (my girlfriend)  expectation technology should get cheaper
and better 8)

As for FlowPoint never heard of them till I got one ...

	Cheers,
	Amancio