Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 11:12:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ben Hockenhull <benh@jpj.net>
To:        Steve Friedrich <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "SPROLESD@sw.noacsc.ohio.gov" <SPROLESD@sw.noacsc.ohio.gov>
Subject:   Re: Making A FreeBSD CD-ROM

> I, personally, think it's unfair to ask any of us to spend our leisure
> time helping you save $40.  What does anyone else think ??

I, personally, think it isn't that big a deal and you need to relax.  It's
no different than asking for help with one's production (read: makes
you money) FreeBSD system on the list, for instance.

I burn semi-custom FreeBSD cd's for each release for my personal use.  It
isn't that hard.  That said, buy the CD from Walnut Creek if you can to
help support further development.  Nobody's forcing you to, but it is the
right thing to do.  That's the beauty of a free OS.

Here's what I do:

ftp the new release from ftp.freebsd.org ot a local ftp server where I
make it available to everyone.  Easiest way is to get X.X.X-RELEASE.tar.
When you untar the tarball, it'll create a directory called X.X.X-RELEASE.

cd to that directory and use mkisofs (in the ports and packages) to create
the iso image.  The root of your cd should look exactly like the root of
the X.X.X-RELEASE directory.  Packages and commerce will not end up being
burned, because those are symlinks to other parts of the filesystem, and
as such are not retrieved during ftp.  Then, burn the cd using your
favorite cd mastering tool, either unix, Mac or PC.  ISO images are cross
platform.

Ben