Date:      Wed, 2 Dec 1998 10:49:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      Spidey <spidey@whiteshadow.dyn.ml.org>
To:        Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Post 228R upgrade problems

I'm real sorry about this... It seems it wasn't that bad. I don't
understand yet what was the problem but it seems that playing with the
/etc directory fixed the trouble. This time I MADE BACKUPS!!! :)))))))

Thanks for your answer.

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998 Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr wrote:

> Bonjour
>
> Are you sure to be in 2.2.8-Release ?
> There is an update to -Release (in Stable) to add new users and groups to
> enhance the safety of FreeBSD.
> You might try and compare /etc/passwd and /usr/src/etc/passwd
> (there is in particular a user "bind" with uid 53)
>
> 	TfH
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > I just upgraded to 2.2.8 Release using CVSup and make build/install
> world.
> > I'm having many problems.
> >
> > First, I can't use man. It gives me the following message:
> > man: unable to find the file /etc/manpath.config
> > The file is there, I didn't even changed it.
> >
> > Second, I can't start sendmail. It seems that the root lost its root
> > permissions!!! 451 /etc/sendmail.cf: line 0: cannot open: Permission
> > denied
> > [date] [hostname] [126]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): /etc/sendmail.cf: line
> 0:
> > cannot open: Permission deied
> >
> > And this, even if sendmail.cf is: -rw-r--r- bin bin !!!! And that
> > /etc/group is containing: bin:*:7:root,spidey
> >
> > I don't understand!!!
> >

> > I also can't "stat /etc/login.conf: Permission denied"
> >
> > I need help, and I don't know what to do next!!
> >
> > Thanks in advance!

> > |  Free the world from businessmen  |
> > |   Free yourself from your money   |

Spidey

How 'bout a little ride through your own world?
http://www.JSP.UMontreal.CA/~beaupran/