Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2007 11:44:14 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Joe Auty <joe@netmusician.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RT36 port WITH_APACHE2

--------------enig13A7D903EA1110E7F9A84A35

Joe Auty wrote:
> I figured this out,
>=20
> My pkgtools.conf make args needed to read:
>=20
>>> MAKE_ARGS =3D {
>>>       	<snipped>
>>>         'www/rt36' =3D> '-DWITH_APACHE2'
>>>   }
>=20
> rather than:
>=20
>>> MAKE_ARGS =3D {
>>>       	<snipped>
>>>         'www/rt36' =3D> 'WITH_APACHE2'
>>>   }
>=20
>=20
> Why is it that some make arguments in this file need the -D while =20
> some don't? Hmmm.....
>=20

It's not portupgrade that needs that, but make(1).  You can set make=20
variables from the command line, and this is what portupgrade does to
exercise various options while building ports.

The syntax for make is either:

    make VARIABLE=3Dvalue

or=20

    make -DVARIABLE

where the latter is equivalent to saying

    make VARIABLE=3D1

('D' for 'define')

Translating that into the format used by pkgtools.conf you can write
either:

    MAKE_ARGS =3D {
      	<snipped>
        'www/rt36' =3D> '-DWITH_APACHE2'
    }

or=20

    MAKE_ARGS =3D {
      	<snipped>
        'www/rt36' =3D> 'WITH_APACHE2=3D1'
    }

You can also undefine a variable by:

   make -UVARIABLE

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       Flat 3
                                                      7 Priory Courtyard
                                                      Kent, CT11 9PW, UK