Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2001 00:35:43 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Cc:        Steve Brown <gtabug@prayforwind.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do I tell Netscape I have flash?

Gary Kline (kline@tao.thought.org) wrote:

> 	Rather than fight a losing battle with closed-source,
> 	proprietary software, I've slowly been switching over to
> 	mozilla.  I think we've got mozilla plugins that should work
> 	natively with FreeBSD.
>
> 	...I'd like to hear from other hackers (or even just savvy
> 	users) about plugins ... and related stuff.

Mmm, I think the vast majority of plugins are closed-source and
distributed as precompiled binaries, and I don't know of any major
plug-in (Java, Flash, Acrobat, RealPlayer, etc.) that distributes
a FreeBSD version.

However, Linux plugins are generally available, and it is trivial to
install a Linux Mozilla binary. Just build gtk for Linux via
/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/linux-gtk, and download a recent Linux build of
Mozilla.

Performance seems about as good as the native FreeBSD version. Unlike
the last native version I built, the Linux binary I downloaded seems to
have some problems returning me to the proper page with the 'back'
button. I'm not sure if this is related to the Linux compatibility mode,
or to a defect in the particular version of Mozilla.

--
Christopher Farley
www.northernbrewer.com