Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2013 18:49:07 +0100
From:      Dimitry Andric <dim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Florian Smeets <flo@smeets.im>, gecko@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Koop Mast <kwm@FreeBSD.org>, Mark Linimon <linimon@FreeBSD.org>, Niclas Zeising <zeising@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Getting www/libxul19 building with clang

On 2013-01-28 18:13, Florian Smeets wrote:
> On 26.01.13 18:10, Dimitry Andric wrote:
>> I got several reports about www/libxul19 not building with clang.  I had
>> a look, and gathered a bunch of upstream patches which make it build
>> correctly.  I am not sure how to run the test suite though, so if
>> somebody could please verify it behaves correctly at runtime, that would
>> be great.
> I'm not sure we should perform any more necromancy on the libuxl19 port.
> It has various security vulnerabilities and we would have nuked it a
> long time ago if it weren't for all the stuff that still depends on it.

Yes, it is only because of the list of dependencies, that I submit this
diff.  Cleaning up the dependencies one by one can be done incrementally
later on, but that will probably take more time than just getting
libxul19 building right now. :-)

> This has been a long time TODO item on the gecko@ TODO list, but nobody
> had the courage to do it, yet... :)
>
> So I think basically I'm saying I'm ok with fixing it to compile with
> clang, but it could get nuked in the not too distant future.

I have absolutely no problems with this diff being just a temporary fix.
But at least it makes a fair number of additional ports 'accessible' for
clang in the mean time.

> With the next update we should probably update www/libxul to 17.0.x that
> should work with clang out of the box, I believe even the 10.0.x that is
> in www/libxul now works with clang.

Indeed, some of the patch files in the diff are from upstream authors
who are contributors to both Mozilla and the Clang project.  IIRC the
Clang guys build Mozilla sources (amongst many others) as smoke tests,
these days.