Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 11:08:02 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        "Sloan, Geoff" <Geoff.Sloan@COMPAQ.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compaq ProLiant 3000 SMP and Ports Collection through HTTP firewa ll questions...

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Sloan, Geoff wrote:

> In a world full of Red Hat here at Compaq, I'm trying to install FreeBSD 4.1
> on a ProLiant 3000 (dual 500MHz, Smart Array 3200 controller) in my office.
> I've gotten the OS installed, but was curious as to how I'd go about
> building an SMP kernel, or if it's even possible/advisable on this system.
> It's been eons since I've built a kernel. :P  All of the sources are
> installed, so if there's a way to do it, I shouldn't have a problem.

I was playing around and did SMP on one of our Proliant 3000's.  I was
using FreeBSD 3.2 or 3.3, I can't remember exactly.  I don't think I
encountered much trouble getting it to work.  I'm not still doing SMP
because I had to borrow the proc from another 3000 just to play with
it. :-)

> Second issue.  I'm behind an HTTP proxy here at Compaq, and I
> would very much like to use FTP to get the latest ports via the
> ports collection.  How would I go about setting up the ports
> collection to use the proxy correctly? Any and all help is greatly
> appreciated.

fetch(1) (or anything using libfetch, actually) understands how to use
HTTP proxies.  If your proxy server is at port 8080 on
proxy.compaq.com, just set the HTTP_PROXY environment variable to
proxy.compaq.com:8080.  See fetch(3) for the details.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For IA32 and Alpha architectures. IA64 and PowerPC under development.
   http://www.freebsd.org