Date:      Sun, 19 Jan 2003 15:39:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        Gary Schenk <gwschenk@socal.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: newbie mail help

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003, Shantanu Mahajan wrote:
> Subject: Re: newbie mail help
>
> +++ Gary Schenk [freebsd] [17-01-03 22:28 -0800]:
> | I've been installing FreeBSD on my home desktop. A little each day I spend
> | configuring. I've worked out most things with books and man pages. I am
> | connected to the internet by cable modem. Links worked perfectly right away.
> | Where I am failing is setting up my email. I am not trying to be a mail
> | server, just get and send mail through my ISP. The documentation seems to be
> | geared to mail servers. This is really confusing me. Can someone point me in
> | the right direction for help on email? Just a nudge in the right direction
> | would be most helpful.
> |
> | I apologize for posting with OE.
> |
> | Thanks!
> |
> # cd /etc/mail
> # make
> # vi `hostname`.mc
>
> now change the line
> dnl define(`SMART_HOST', `your.isp.mail.server')
> define(`SMART_HOST', `your.isp.mail.server')
>
> (don't fotget to _replace_ *your.isp.mail.server*)
> then
> # make
> # killall -HUP sendmail
>
> That's all. :-)
>
> Regards,
> Shantanu

Is all this required? Couldn't POP mail just be gotten in the normal way
with e.g. kmail or netscape or mozilla? The above will allow you to use
all manner of *nix email clients, but have you tried just setting up (say)
mozilla mail or kmail in the normal fashion?

Just a thought - JB

#  John Bleichert
#  http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg